Corporate Heads Make Too Much? What About Union Leaders?
By Warner Todd Huston Posted in Economy — Comments (5) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »
-By Warner Todd Huston
The Center For Union Facts, put out a press release jabbing unions in the ribs for their unprincipled finger pointing at the high salaries of corporate heads like CEO's, CFO's, etc. But, as the CUF points out, union chiefs make the same sort of money and no one is pointing fingers at THEM saying that the bloated salaries of union scammers are too high. Where are the calls for union heads to give back their exorbitant salaries?
Here is a list of some union thieves' grossly bloated salaries.
- The Plumbers paid former General President Martin Maddaloni $1.3 million in total compensation, and Secretary-Treasurer Thomas Patchell almost $900,000 – after they were ousted for disastrous pension investments in a Florida hotel. According to the Association for Union Democracy, the buyout agreement included “salaries and benefits plus free use of cars and other perks through the end of 2006.”
- AFSCME President Gerald McEntee recorded total compensation just shy of $585,000.
- General President of the Laborers Terence O’Sullivan made more than $528,000.
- National Education Association President Reg Weaver made almost $439,000.
- The presidents of unions for players in the National Football League and the National Basketball Association made more than $1 million each. The NFL union head, Eugene Upshaw, made $2.4 million. Moreover, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb received $900,000 from his AFL-CIO affiliated union as a player representative.
Wow. Seems rather hypocritical of these union folks who point fingers at corporate heads, doesn't it?
And, as CUF Executive Director Richard Berman points out, the money that union chiefs get paid are from the dues of union members and NOT the profits from a company.
“While stockholders always have the option of showing their dissatisfaction with salary issues by dumping their stock, union executives have made it virtually impossible for a union member to escape paying for high salaries and perks through mandatory dues.”
So, let me be one of the few that will call for these union thugs to pay back their undeserved salaries!
Be sure and Visit my Home blog Publius' Forum. It's what's happening NOW!